Salmon with Rice & Asparagus
• 1 cup water
• ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
• 2 tablespoons grated ginger
• ½ teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce or chili pepper flakes
• 4 4oz fresh salmon fillets
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1½ cups brown basmati rice
• 3 cups water (for rice)
• 20 spears of asparagus
• Get the rice started in a rice cooker or on the stove. Follow directions on package for rice.
• Meanwhile poach the salmon. Match your favorite heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid.
• Pour the water, soy sauce, sugar, hot sauce, and ginger together in the skillet.
• Bring to a vigorous simmer over high heat, then lower to a slow, steady simmer. Nestle the salmon fillets in the mixture and cover the pan.
• Let simmer for 5 minutes then gently flip the salmon fillets.
• Cover and simmer until cooked through, about 4-5 more minutes.
• Steam the asparagus for 4-5 minutes.
• Divide the rice and asparagus among 4 bowls. Position the salmon on each pile of rice and spoon the sauce over evenly. Sprinkle with green onion to garnish.
Serving size: 1 salmon fillet, with ¾ cup brown rice, 5 spears asparagus & sauce
Fat: 10.9 g
Saturated fat: 1.8 g
Unsaturated fat: 6.9 g
Carbohydrates: 41.8 g
Sugar: 3.4 g
Fiber: 4.2 g
Protein: 34.7 g